Wednesday 16 December 2015

LS2 Arrow C - Helmet Review



Helmets are something we all use, and often skimp on when it comes to spending money. The amount of guys I see riding expensive bikes with a R500 helmet to me is slightly confusing. Now I’m not saying everyone needs to go out and spend R20000 on an AGV Pista, but shop around and look for a well-priced, and more importantly well spec’ed helmet. This includes the safety rating. You will actually be shocked at how an expensive helmet does not necessarily mean it is a good helmet.



After years of service my old AGV, which I loved, had done some serious mileage and accumulated some wear due to daily use. I contacted the suppliers of AGV and was shocked at the cost of replacing mine. The same went for the other brands I looked at. These included the big names, Arai, Shoei, etc. I looked at the Shark helmets and tried a few on, but they did not seem to fit me properly and also did not draw me to them. I gave up and thought I would look over seas for something I really wanted. Something that spoke to me… and of course, my wallet.



I’m a fussy customer and wanted something light, good looking, comfortable and of course safe. I had seen LS2 helmets being advertised online but put them aside as I did not know the brand, which is something we all seem to do. Luckily I got a call from a friend saying he has one and I need to come see it. I popped over to him and was pleasantly surprised by the overall quality. The most impressive part was the raw carbon fiber weave. When I returned home I started doing some more in depth research and was impressed to see guys on the MotoGP circuit using them. Yonny Hernandez, Loris Baz, Anthony West, Simone Corsi, and Isaac Vinales all use them. 

I contacted LS2 South Africa and got pricing on the one I really wanted. The LS2 Arrow Carbon. It is their top of the range helmet and when you get to have a good look at it you see the racing inspiration behind it. It is lightweight at 1300g, and is a long oval shape. It comes in three different shell sizes which is nice as it will not be over sized according to the fit. It had space for pin-locks which is something I would use in winter, and had tear-offs for someone wanting to use this helmet for racing. I also enquired about tinted visors as my eyes are sensitive to light, and we all like the stealth look. They had various options so I bit the bullet and ordered the helmet. I also opted for a dark visor as well as a gold iridium visor. LS2 sell their helmets and include a tinted visor and a pinlock insert in the pricing. 




A few weeks later I got a call to say that my helmet was ready. Redewaan, the distributor, met me one evening at a place that was convenient and the whole transaction was effortless and included everything I asked for. Once home I was able to have a good look at the helmet and was super impressed. The overall design is race orientated, and the internals and overall quality are those of a far more expensive helmet. The visor allows for a huge range of view, and is able to be locked in place. The visor is thick and is easy to release for cleaning or swapping. The carbon weave is also stunning once in the sun, and the helmet allows for great ventilation.

I cannot recommend this helmet enough. This is a MotoGP spec helmet for a very good price and punches well above its weight. For more information check out the LS2 Facebook page and message Redewaan. You will not be disappointed.

Alex




1 comment: